Sunday, September 6, 2009

The genius of DEX New York & John Henry

As everyone knows, a runway show is comprised of much more than simply clothes and models. It is the embodiment of a designer's vision:an entire picture is painted through music, set, hair and makeup. DEX New York is both a brand and a studio that is a major player during fashion week. Started by Dexter Phillip, the studio is described as "a multi-faceted makeup studio, photography studio, progressive hair studio, learning center and a relaxing beauty oasis."

It really is an amazing place. In addition to all of this there is a DEX New York cosmetic line. And this is really what I want to share with you because I'm wickedly impressed with it. And no, they're not paying me to write this!

My relationship with Dex (the person and the studio) began with a spray-on tan. Seriously. I am white. Not the "never tan" kind of white but the blonde hair/blue eyed "you are more susceptible to skin cancer than your darker toned friends" kind of white. So while I love being tan I am loathe to lay out in the sun without an SPF of 20+. I became addicted to tanning lotions and I've tried the range: from the kind that advertise as moisturizers that give your skin a "glow" to ones that guarantee a brilliant tan. And I was always disappointed. Until last month when an invite to a pool party had me rummaging through my things and I came across the DEX Body Glow Sunless Tanner which I got in a swag bag. I grabbed it and quickly sprayed it on my legs. I was really amazed at how natural it looked -like nothing else I had ever tried- and how it was both easy to use and had instant results.

I was so impressed I sent Mr. Phillip a note and he in turn invited me to visit his studio. There I was introduced to the DEX New York cosmetic line by make up artist John Henry Edington.

With gorgeous colors created without cruelty to animals and named after New York landmarks I was instantly enamored.


Mr. Edington, who also gives make up instruction, insisted on giving me a makeover on the spot. He explained everything he was doing in detail and talked about the benefits of the various products. I learned more in the time I spent with him than a lifetime of reading "tips + tricks" in various fashion magazines. But not just about make up but about life: John Henry is the only boy in a family with 12 children and the youngest. Being surrounded by women, he says, helped make him the perfect gentleman and taught him to be concerned about the most important things in life: "love, family and friends. And to find something passionate and that you love to do" because by doing what you're passionate about you'll give back to the world. As John Henry says, "Love the life. Live the life. Live the life you love."


My Self Portrait after make up application by John Henry Edington
My top 3 favorite products:
Mineral Tinted Hydrator truly multi-tasks as a foundation, sunscreen and anti-oxidant moisturizer. It feels great on and gives decent coverage.
Mineral Glow is what I imagine pixie dust to be like. Although their description as a "liquid light" is more accurate. It gives a natural glow to the skin without the "sparkles" that give away similar products.
Mineral Pressed Eyeshadow in Empire State the color is a little iridescent but still has strong pigmentation and it lasts.

1 comment: