Monday, August 24, 2009

Chris Habana - Designer to Know




Jewelry designer Chris Habana had a party for his new collection, Legends of Pop at a.ok in the basement of Oak on Bond Street last Thursday night. Here are some photos from the party and a brief Q+A with the man of the hour.

Katya: How did you get into doing this collaboration with A.OK?

Chris: Well I was represented by OAK for a while and when they started there A.ok venture we started talking about working together for a.ok too. And I always thought that if I started a secondary line it would be a little on the cheaper side instead of going high end so it was a good fit. My pieces as it is are not so expensive but I wanted the challenge of going even a little more affordable.

Katya: So what’s the price range for this collection?

Chris: Between $36 and $54.

Katya: That is really reasonable. I always love it when designers that I think have really fresh sensibilities are sensitive to their markets – which with this line I’m thinking younger kids, fresh out of school -maybe who are just starting out. They want to have something really fun and unique to wear that isn’t cheap but also want to pay their bills.


Chris: I really love the idea of something more accessible. And I thought what’s more accessible to everyone than the whole pop/pop music thing? And I thought of all the artists I loved from the 80s and 90s and really wanted to pay tribute to them with jewelry. So I am coming up with a Madonna cone bra, Boy George fedora/pork pie hat, a Michael Jackson glove, a Janet Jackson one earring, and a New Kids on the Block hang tough –one earring as well.

Katya: The 80s is really huge in fashion right now. Do you think there’s a reason for this? Is it fashion recycles every 20 years or…?

Chris: I don’t really think about what’s in or out in fashion – especially with what I do. I’ve just learned to do things more inherent to what I’d do or what I’m into at the moment. And the 80s and 90s are where it’s at.

Katya: I know this just came out so this might be a crazy question but is there anything up and coming in addition to this collection?

Chris: I’m coming up with my spring/summer 2010 collection for women. There’s another collaboration coming up but it’s top secret at the moment!

Katya: No worries, we’ll let you keep it a secret! Well I personally love this collection: it’s fun and affordable and it really celebrates pop culture. I also look forward to seeing your spring/summer 2010 collection. Thanks!

Chris: Thank you!


Check out the chrishabana & a.ok collaboration here!

PHOTOS OF JEWELRY COURTESY OF OAK
More party photos:) -ps some will go up on the main page as the look of the day in the coming weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment