Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Q + A with Krystyna Printup

krystyna_Sneakers


What inspired you to start The Printup list?

It seemed like in college I was the go to person to ask about "whats going on tonight?" Maybe it was because I worked in the club scene since I was 16, or that I was a Native New Yorker, Im not sure, but it was something that drew people to me. I was getting tired of people calling, texting and email me all the time at all hours asking that same old question. I remember I woke up 2 years ago in the middle of the night and was like "I'm going to start a blog and just post that info up there..." and BAM! the next morning I got up and got right into developing The Printup.

How often do you go out?
During what I call Peak seasons ( Sept/ Feb- Fashion Week, Sept-Gallery Season Openings, Dec- Holiday Parties, March- Art/ Armory Week) I go out every day to events for about a couple of weeks straight. The rest of the year I tend to go out at random depending on the night and event. Usually I like the random gallery openings on Thursdays, or a dance party at a weekly event.

Top 3 places to go out in NYC?
To go out..hmmm well depends on what OUT you are talking of. Dancing is always hard to find a good gem and I tend to want to go dancing over drinking. I'm really addicted to dancing at OPEN which is a weekly at Santos Party House on Fridays. Its a reggae / hip hop party where you really get the "I'm in NYC" feel minus the bridge and tunnel. As for drinking I love going to Norwood, where I am a member, and lounging and sipping some well mastered cocktails. For that hip and local feel I've been visiting The Woods in Williamsburg: a bit of dancing, taco eating and cheap beer, you just can't go wrong. But seriously nothing beats a good ol' fashion house party (yet those are the rarest of gems.)


NYC is always shifting in terms of where people go and what’s popular. From hip hop to raves to balls there is always something that seems to grab the popular imagination. What do you think are the scenes and sounds that people are gravitating towards now?
If I was interviewed 2 years back I would of said that whole NueRave or GhettoCrunk fad that hit quick. Sadly I want to say that the hard club sound is coming back, but NYC is in a sound vortex. We have now recycled everything and there's nothing to go back to so we are in this bit of a transition. What ever comes next will be something new and never done before for sure.

Is there a certain trend in music or fashion or art that you wish would go away or think is over-hyped?
LOL! Oh boy I could really write a whole post on this. Trend-wise I am tired of just about anything flannel, the "sneaker head" look for guys... for girls the aviator glasses/ leather jacket/ black knit hat/ studded bike boots"rock-goth" Taylor Momsen look, -and please please please the girls who wear spandex that really are tights and you can see all the bit and pieces of them hanging out..eww not a good look.

Amen sister on that last one!

How would you define your personal style?
My style depends on my mood. Do I feel like a Japanese Gallery owner? or an early 90s black man? Am I a whimsical storyteller? Maybe a club kid from London? Or into Norwegian Death Metal? I have many faces to fit every mood and every event.

How has it evolved over the years?
I use to be a raver in High School and a lot of my flare for big baggy color from those days. In college after the death of a family member I entered what I call "my black period" and erased all color and went from bright and loud to dark and modern. As I grew back into colors I was engulfed into a bike subculture in Brooklyn and began introducing clothing that was designed for a purpose into my style. Currently I am torn between all worlds and really enjoy clothing that is simple and functional and mixed with some highlights of shock and color.

Top 3 favorite places to get cool clothes in NYC?
Seven NY, OAK, Opening Ceremony

What inspires you about NY?
I love the fact that you can walk into almost any country possible and never leave the island of Manhattan.

Best advice ever given or received?
Just buy it......the worlds going to end soon anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment