Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Q + A with Christopher Lee Sauve

How did you come up with the concept for the Save Anna t-shirt?
The Save Anna shirt was a response to the blog rumours that Anna Wintour was to be replaced by French Vogue Editor, Carine Roitfeld. I first drew a little Anna character with the words SAVE ANNA (like how the political t-shirts say SAVE THE WHALES). It seemed like a funny thing to be saving while the amidst all the serious news on the TV at the time.

And what about your upcoming t-shirt collection?
The upcoming collection is inspired by religion, politics, pop culture and fashion. I took these subjects threw them in a bag and shook it up.

What do you like most about what you do?
I am happy to be creating art that people can wear. I am not a fashion designer, but a graphic designer. I was tired of creating posters and graphics and just having them on a poster, so for me having the images on t-shirts is sort of like walking canvases.

What is the most challenging aspect?
The most challenging aspect would be production, having the colors set correctly, image size, also coming up with ideas sometimes, I have to be inspired.

Do you see any trends that will really emerge in 2010 in fashion/art/culture?
For 2010, I see the theme of love and community coming into play, not in the way it did during the 1960s but in a futuristic, survival way. The way we live, interact and shop has changed drastically the past couple of years and our view on money as well. This has brought us to create new appreciation for things that really matter.

Top 3 favorite places to go out in NYC
Top 3 places that I enjoy are the Maritime Hotel balcony (La Bottega), Sugarland in Williamsburg and Vandam at Greenhouse on Sunday evenings.

What inspires you most about NYC?
I would say the crazy people and the energy, the feeling you can do whatever you want and on your own terms without being judged. NYC is a very freeing city I think.

Best advice ever given or received

Best advice would be
"All that we are is the result of what we have thought" - Buddha

See more t-shirts and other stuff by CLS
here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment