Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The Academy of Art University Spring 2010 Show

This show has become one of my favorite as they are all emerging designers and so there is no preconceptions about the work...except that if it's in this show it's damn good. This spring was no exception:seven MFA students showed their collections in the tents. They varied a great deal in content but the quality of the work was excellent. Two of my favorites were the collections of Richelle Valenzuela and Brittney Major.























Richelle's collection was finely cut layers of silk and satin-faced organza constructed to reflect the facets of a gem. The effect was an intriguing blend of architectural precision and softness.






















I'm not going to lie: I am not a fan of preppy nor the south. So I was a bit skeptical when I read that one of the designers, Brittney Major, was inspired by both. That being said there was something remarkably vital about her collection. A bold use of color and fearlessness about mixing her plaids has created an urbane preppy that feels simultaneously nostalgic and au courant. A hard feat to pull off that she manages exceptionally well.

The other five students Marina Nikolaeva Popska, Kara Sennett, Amanda Cleary, Jie Pan and Sawanya Jomthepmala had strong collections as well. As always when I leave the AAU show I look forward to seeing the future collections of these bright new talents.

No comments:

Post a Comment