Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Q + A with Tr3y Stylez

tr3y2

How did you get into styling?

I was working in a high-end retail store on the Upper East Side, and overheard a woman talking about a photoshoot she had coming up. At first I was hesitant, but thought “Hey what do I have to lose? I decided to intervene by asking her if she needed any assistance. Right after I took a deep breath, (hesitant that this women would simply react as one would pestered by a salesperson), she came over and asked me for help in returning an item. We went from talking about returning an item to her introducing herself as Debbie Dickinson. Actress, Supermodel, and sister to the famed International Supermodel Janice Dickinson. She told me she was looking for a makeup artist who needed to be at NBC studios the following morning at the crack of dawn. I knew that this was more then a task. This was a test to see if I could make it in styling -beyond assisting customers. And I did it.

Do you do editorial, fashion or personal styling?
I do both editorial and fashion styling.

What is the most challenging aspect of what you do?
I can't think of anything specific. There are challenges with everything you strive for. It’s doing something that you love doing every single day. Being challenged to achieve while doing what you truly love and are passionate about.

What is most rewarding about what you do?
The most rewarding thing about styling is seeing the clients face when they truly love what they are wearing. When I see how they pose and react to their clothes it gives me the seal of approval that I did a job well done!

What are 3 places to find great pieces in NYC?
I would name exact stores but I notice that people love to really take in every single aspect of the city. So I broke it down into three neighborhoods: Greenwich Village(Abington Square) L.E.S.(Stanton Street) & The Garment District.(23rd Street)

What are some emerging trends?
Some trends that will be taking light soon include women wearing little to no jewelry and focusing on the actual garments which we're seeing from designers such as Yves Saint Laurent, Calvin Klein and Donna Karan. Another trend we will begin to see is the sophisticated man being more aware of fashion; you can see designers such as Comme des Garçons, Viktor & Rolf and Givency executing this in their collections. Say goodbye to those sneakers and hello to Military boots and Doc Martens.


What inspires you the most about NYC?
People. Everyone from the stylish woman on the Upper West Side holding her Hermes Birkin bag to the baby in his Valco stroller in Williamsburg.

Best advice you've ever given or received?
Style as if you are getting paid millions.

Be sure to look for Tr3y Stylez around town next week. He will be everywhere at the tents.


No comments:

Post a Comment