Sunday, January 3, 2010

Thoughts and things by Megg

I went to Megg's apartment thinking I was going to interview her - but instead spent an afternoon talking about art, Berlin and the importance of knowing what you want in life. A few things that impressed me: she's self-trained as an artist and is passionate about making things. She recently lost internet access and not only doesn't care but said her creative output has soared since then. (note to self: get offline more!) She works as a model but has been able to find a balance between working and her art and sees the value of both. She also has great style and would rather wear something from a thrift store so that it's uniquely her own than buy a pretty dress when there's 100s of identical ones on the rack. She is cool, quirky and unique and her art is the same...of which only a few pieces are shown here.

A drawing from a series she's doing inspired by a fashion photoshoot.

It’s important to be yourself and express that. Not worry about how good or bad it is while you’re making it. Just make it and get it out there…and then you can always improve upon it. But don’t stop yourself. You can’t go wrong. Just stay in the moment.


Another from the same series
I know this sounds intense but I honestly feel that if I ever –for some reason- couldn’t create I would fucking kill myself…but I can’t imagine..


Creating work on the fly
The art has to reveal itself to you. I can have an idea of what I want to do but I can’t overthink it. I just layer things and see what happens….take things off and see what’s revealed underneath.


Megg next to her work-in-progress collage
I would love to put my work into a photoshoot…to make it more than being about making money.


No comments:

Post a Comment